Tuesday 26 January 2016

Bowthorpe and Colney GP

I'm having a quiet time birding-wise this month, nothing really new as far as Januarys go. This time a very busy project in work and lots of other busy projects at home with our new house.
I would love to have been able to travel with Nick and Yoav to Holland but instead had to settle for Yoav's superb photos on his excellent blog - see rubythroat twitch.
I had intended to go for the Serin at Downham Market but a combination of negative news and limited time meant I stayed local instead. I checked Bowthorpe for the Great White Egret on Sunday afternoon but there was no sign. If it wasn't there, I rather fancied it may have headed up river towards Colney Gravel Pits. I still have my birdwatching permit, so I spent an hour or so punting around there but there was no sign of it.
However, a single female type Goosander was compensation at least. I had heard that a pair of Goosanders were there but I just had this singleton. It was extremely wary so I could only manage this heavily cropped shot as it fished from the far bank of one of the gravel pits.

Female Goosander, Colney GP, Norwich

No comments:

Post a Comment