Saturday 27 December 2014

The twelve birds of Christmas - part six

Ok, so let's finish with a flourish. If you have been reading my blog during 2014 you will know that in May I went to Magee Marsh, Ohio - you can read all about it at:

Magee Marsh, Ohio - Day One
Magee Marsh, Ohio, Day Two
Magee Marsh, Ohio - Day Three
Magee Marsh, Ohio - Day Four 
Magee Marsh, Ohio - Day Five
Magee Marsh, Ohio - Final Day

Anyway, first time birding in the States, first time using a flash for bird photography - very impressed with how friendly US birders are to each other (we could all take note of that over here). But the warblers, as expected, stole the show. I had twenty-three species in all, perhaps would of been more if I had spent less time behind the lens. Here are two of my favourite species from that visit.

The eleventh bird

Bay-breasted Warblers were present throughout my visit, the males are stunning and this bird posed nicely from the edge of the wood near the entrance to the boardwalk.


Bay-breasted Warbler, Magee Marsh, Ohio - May 2014

Taken on a tripod with a shutter speed of 1/200, ISO400 and focal length 700mm (didn't use flash for this shot as natural light at the time was sufficient).

The twelfth bird

Let's finish with a really special one (for me anyway). My all time favourite species, Blackburnian Warbler, a striking combination of black, white and fiery orange plumage make the males almost too beautiful for words. Awesome is not a word I use much, but I think it applies aptly here.



Male Blackburnian Warbler, Magee Marsh, Ohio - May 2014
Shots one and two were taken on a tripod with a shutter speed of 1/160, ISO400 and focal length 700mm with external flash and better beamer / fresnel lens.
Shot three was taken on a tripod with an aperture of f6.3, shutter speed of 1/500, ISO400 and focal length 700mm with external flash and better beamer / fresnel lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment