Saturday 22 December 2012

The twelve birds of Christmas - part five

The ninth bird

This was the first time I tried the 'frying pan' technique for photographing waders. I saw it on an American bird photography DVD and thought it looked 'neat' (as they say across the pond).
It enabled me to get really close to this Semipalmated Sandpiper on Garretstown beach near Kinsale, County Cork. The shot was taken seconds before a loose dog flushed it, apparently though the sight of photographer stalking bird and Jack Russell stalking photographer made quite an amusing scene for a small group of passers-by.
The end result though was quite pleasing, I use the picture as the banner on my blog and it has been published in 'Wings' and 'Birdwatch' magazines.


Semipalmated Sandpiper, Garretstown beach, Cork - September 2012


 Focal length - 700mm, aperture - f8, ISO100, shutter speed - 1/320 and tefal frying pan!


The tenth bird

I'll readily admit I'm atrocious at flight shots, I need to practise a bit more on them. I find it very hard to get the autofocus to lock onto the subject at precisely the right moment.
Cuskinny Reserve on Great Island is where I saw my first Ring-billed Gull and a regular spot for them throughout the winter.
Attracted to bread, this bird came quite close. On this ocassion I think the dull background helped the autofocus to pick the bird out and the result was quite pleasing.


Ring-billed Gull, Cuskinny Reserve, Cork - December 2012


Focal length - 500mm, aperture f4, ISO200, shutter speed - 1/1000s with tripod


No comments:

Post a Comment