Thursday 11 October 2012

Yawn!!!

Peak season, the second week of October, but 'by gum' its quiet out there. Did the Old Head of Kinsale and Sandycove today.  A strong north-easterly breeze shook the trees and in the sheltered spots all I had were 2 Chiffchaffs, many Goldcrests and (Irish) Coal Tits. Not much else I can add to this post, didn't even take the camera out of its bag, hopefully things will pick up soon. Yesterday I drove to Rosscarbery to see the Baird's Sandpiper, a species that has eluded me so far. And yesterday was no exception. The persistant fog and drizzle didn't help, in addition all the smalls stayed right out in the middle of the estuary. But from what I could see they were all either Dunlin or Ringed Plover. Nothing smaller or noticeably attenuated caught my eye. I spent hours searching and gave up around 3pm. At 5.30pm it was reported as present......well OK, but I'm satisfied it wasn't there between 11am and 3pm. Today there was no sign of it apparently.
Onwards!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment